Vegan Carrot Bacon
Years ago when we started a grain free diet, I used to make carrot curls. They were crispy, crunchy and so delicious! To make them, I simply peeled carrots and fried them on the stove using a stock pot full of oil. The only trouble was that the carrots shrunk significantly in the frying process.That’s what I love about this recipe, baking the carrot strips, instead of frying in hot oil, leaves you with more “meat” of the carrot once they’ve cooked. I baked mine since we don’t have an air fryer….yet…..and the result was still fabulous. Letting the carrot bacon sit for 30 minutes or longer before eating enhanced the flavor quite a bit and they were still perfectly crunchy!I also used Suzie’s Seasoning for my carrot bacon which gives the bacon a sensational flavor. I’ve improvised here with the recipe to mimic the same mixture.
- 4 Large Carrots
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Tahini
- 2 Tbsp Gluten Free Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1/4 Tsp Liquid Smoke Optional
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Pinch Cayenne
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Whisk the tahini and lemon juice together, adding a bit of water if too thick.
- Stir in remaining marinade ingredients.
- Chop ends off carrots and peel outer layer.
- Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, peel into bacon sized strips. I cut some of my carrots in half because they were too long!
- Place strips in a bowl with the marinade and let sit for 30 minutes or longer.
- Line baking pan with parchment or foil.
- Place carrot in single layer on the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until browning around the edges.